1 tablespoon raw (coarse) sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle (or chili) powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (ribeye, strip, or tenderloin)
1 cup hickory barbecue sauce
- Preheat grill pan (or grill). Combine sugar, cumin, chipotle, salt, pepper, and oil. Coat both sides of steak with mixture (wash hands).
- Place steaks in grill pan (or on grill); grill 2–3 minutes and until steaks are 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (for medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (for well done). Transfer steaks to cutting board; let stand 5–10 minutes before slicing. Temperature will rise 5–10°F during this time.
- Heat barbecue sauce in microwave on HIGH for 1–2 minutes or until hot. Stir and serve with steaks.
NOTE: The doneness temperatures for medium rare and medium stated above are traditional temperatures used for cooking steaks, but are not recommended by the USDA. To maintain food safety, the USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, as measured using a food thermometer, with a 3-minute rest time before carving.
1 tablespoon + 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
4 seedless watermelon wedges (about 2 lb)
4 cups spring mix salad blend (4 oz)
2 oz honey (or regular) goat cheese, crumbled
8 teaspoons white balsamic glaze (or honey)
- Preheat grill pan (or grill) on medium-high. Combine in medium bowl: 1 tablespoon oil with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; brush oil mixture evenly over watermelon.
- Place watermelon in grill pan (or on grill); cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until grill marks are visible. Remove slices from grill; set aside until ready to assemble salad.
- Divide salad blend on 4 serving plates; top with watermelon, then crumble goat cheese over each salad.
- Whisk remaining 4 teaspoons oil, glaze, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper until blended. Drizzle over salads and serve.