1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 (2 1/2-lb) flat-cut corned beef brisket
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 small head green cabbage (1 1/2 lb)
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup Russian dressing
2 tablespoons coleslaw seasoning mix
6 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
6 slices (or 1/2 loaf) Bakery rye bread
6 oz Swiss or aged white Cheddar cheese
1 (24-oz) container refrigerated mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion into large pieces.
- Place corned beef, onions, and caraway seeds in 13- x 9-inch baking dish; cover with foil. Calculate bake time at 1 hour per pound (2–3 hours). Begin to bake corned beef.
- Prepare cabbage when corned beef has about 1 hour bake time remaining. Discard outer cabbage leaves; cut cabbage into bite-size pieces, discarding hard core (about 6 cups). Whisk in large bowl: broth, dressing, and seasoning mix until blended; stir in cabbage. Transfer mixture to same baking dish with corned beef, stirring to combine with pan juices. Complete last hour of bake time, cooking until meat and cabbage are tender.
- Transfer meat to cutting board; let stand 5 minutes or more before slicing.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter over each bread slice and place on baking sheet; bake 8–9 minutes or until crisp and toasted. Slice cheese and place on top of bread.
- Heat potatoes in microwave following package instructions.
- Slice meat thinly across grain. Top bread with potatoes and meat slices; spoon cabbage and sauce over top. Serve.