-- Preheat oven, prepare chili through step 4 - 10 minutes
-- Prepare toast; complete chili and serve - 10 minutes
Cincinnati-Style Chili With Chorizo
1 lb fresh chorizo sausage (or ground beef)
8 oz fresh pre-diced onions (1 1/2 cups), divided
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
16 oz thin spaghetti pasta
-- Bring water to a boil for pasta.
-- Remove casing from sausage.
1. Preheat stock pot on medium 2-3 minutes. Add chorizo and 1/2 cup onions; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until onions are softened.
2. Combine chili powder, cocoa powder, apple pie spice, and cumin, then add to meat; cook 1-2 minutes to blend flavors.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, and cider vinegar; cook 8-10 minutes or until chili thickens and liquid reduces.
4. Cook pasta following package instructions. Serve chili over pasta; top with remaining 1 cup onions.
Italian Garlic Toast
6 slices frozen Texas cheese toast
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place bread, cheese side up, on baking sheet; sprinkle with seasoning.
2. Bake 5-7 minutes on middle shelf of oven. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend and carrot cake for dessert.
-- You can use this chili as a condiment for hot dogs, baked potatoes, or add cheese to make a dip.
-- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, or any of your favorite toppings.