-- Prepare apples through step 1 and begin to bake - 10 minutes
-- Prepare chili and begin to simmer; continue apples - 15 minutes
-- Complete chili and let apples stand to cool; serve - 15 minutes
Beef, Pork, and Bean Chili
1 (24-oz) jar roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons canola oil
8 oz fresh pre-diced onions (1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/4 lb ground meatloaf blend (beef/pork)
1 can reduced-sodium black beans (15-16 oz), drained
1 can chili beans with mild sauce (15-16 oz), undrained
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (10-14.5 oz), undrained
2 (8-oz) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/3 cup chopped black olives
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (8.5-oz) pouch pre-cooked basmati rice
1. Preheat large stock pot on medium 2-3 minutes. Chop peppers. Place oil in pan, then add peppers, onions, and chili powder; cook 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender.
2. Add meat; cook and stir 5-6 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients (except rice). Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer 15 minutes.
4. Microwave rice following package instructions. Spoon chili into serving bowls; top with rice and chili toppings. Serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
Apples in a Nest
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), divided
2 sweet, crisp apples
1 (9-oz) tub apple crisp mix
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
-- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12-cup muffin pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Cut remaining butter into small pieces; place in medium bowl to soften.
-- Peel apples; cut into small cubes.
1. Combine crisp mix with butter; knead until a dough forms. Divide dough into muffin cups, pressing firmly to flatten; bake 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine apples with cinnamon sugar.
2. Top each crust with 2 tablespoons apple mixture; bake 10-12 minutes or until apples soften. Let stand 10 minutes to cool. (Use a plastic knife around crust to release from pan.) Serve.
-- Complete your meal with cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce (to top chili) and whipped topping (over dessert).
-- Make it hearty and fun by serving the chili in Bakery bread bowls.