Get in the habit: Clean your bags after every trip.
We’re all being more cautious these days, but it’s always been important to take good care of the bags you use to carry your food. Here are some tips for proper use of reusable bags:
- Cloth bag: Toss your bags in the washing machine and launder in hot water with detergent. Machine or line dry. Do this after every shopping trip.
- Non-woven polypropylene, nylon, or polyester bags: Remove any inserts and turn bags inside-out. (Clean inserts with a disinfecting spray cleaner.) Hand wash in warm water with soap and rinse. Turn inside out and line dry. Do this after every shopping trip.
- Store bags in a clean, cool location – not in the car.
- Clean areas where you unload reusable bags, such as the kitchen counter or table.
- Do not use reusable grocery bags for other purposes; designate them just for groceries.
At the Store
- Before placing meat, poultry, or fish in your reusable bag, place those items in the disposable plastic bags conveniently located in those departments.