1 Deli rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 large poblano pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup queso fresco (or Monterey Jack) cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons canola oil
8 oz prediced yellow onions (1 1/2 cups)
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (15.5-oz) cans white hominy (or white corn), drained and rinsed
4 cups unsalted chicken stock (or broth)
2 (4.5-oz) cans diced green chiles
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
- Shred chicken (about 3 cups). Chop poblano (1 cup), cilantro, and garlic. Crumble cheese; cut lime into wedges.
- Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in stockpot, then add onions and poblano; cook 4–5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute. Drain and rinse hominy.
- Stir in chicken, stock, hominy, chiles, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 7–8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until hot and flavors have blended. Dice avocado. Top each bowl of soup with cilantro, cheese, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
6 frozen puff pastry shells (10 oz)
3/4 cup refried beans
6 tablespoons queso fresco (or Monterey Jack) cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with spray; place shells on baking sheet. Bake only 15 minutes.
- Press the center of each shell down to make a well; place 2 tablespoons beans and 1 tablespoon cheese in center of each shell. Coat shells with spray and sprinkle with cumin. Bake 5–6 minutes or until beans and cheese are hot. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.