-- Put water on to boil for pasta; prepare tomatoes - 5 minutes
-- Continue pasta through step 3; prepare veal through step 3 - 15 minutes
-- Complete both and serve - 10 minutes
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
1 pound veal scaloppini
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup pre-diced onions
1/2 cup flour
large zip-top bag
3/4 cup Marsala wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
1. Slice (rinsed) mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices. Cover veal with waxed paper; pound, using smooth side of meat mallet (or rolling pin), until about 1/4-inch thick. Wash hands.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon butter in pan and swirl to coat. Stir in onions; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes.
3. Place flour and veal in zip-top bag; seal tightly and shake to coat. Move mushroom and onion mixture to outer edge of pan; add 1 tablespoon butter. Place veal, using tongs, in center of pan (do not discard flour). Brown 1-2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan, leaving mushrooms and onions.
4. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons flour (from coating veal). Stir in wine and broth. Return veal to pan; reduce heat to low and simmer 6-8 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 564kcal; FAT 24g; CHOL 127mg;
SODIUM 365mg; CARB 56g; FIBER 7g; PROTEIN 28g;
VIT A 0%; VIT C 1%; CALC 2%; IRON 18%
Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo
8 ounces fettuccine (1/2 box)
1 (16-ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1 teaspoon pesto sauce
2 cups broccoli florets
1. Fill large saucepan 1/2 full of water. Cover and bring to boil on high heat for pasta.
2. Stir pasta into boiling water; boil 11-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender.
4. Drain pasta; return to saucepan. Toss with broccoli mixture and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 435kcal; FAT 20g; CHOL 65mg;
SODIUM 808mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 12g;
VIT A 36%; VIT C 67%; CALC 9%; IRON 12%
2 beefsteak tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut (rinsed) tomatoes into wedges; place in medium bowl.
2. Stir in dressing, cheese, salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 78kcal; FAT 6g; CHOL 5mg;
SODIUM 261mg; CARB 4g; FIBER <1g; PROTEIN 2g;
VIT A 9%; VIT C 19%; CALC 2%; IRON 2%
The secret to this dish is to have all ingredients staged and ready to go since the veal cooks so quickly.