-- Prepare cottage pie and begin to bake - 35 minutes
-- Using clean knife and cutting board, prepare Brussels sprouts and serve - 25 minutes
Turkey Cottage Pie
1 (12-ounce) applewood-smoked turkey breast tenderloin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 ounces pre-sliced baby portabella mushrooms (rinsed)
2 (10.75-ounce) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted green beans (drained)
1 (24-ounce) package refrigerated country-style mashed potatoes
4 ounces Dubliner Irish (or sharp Cheddar) cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. 2. Remove turkey from package (discard liquid). Rinse turkey and pat dry; season with pepper (wash hands). Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add turkey (wash hands); cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until well browned.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Remove turkey from pan.
4. Place mushrooms in same pan and increase heat to medium; cook 3-4 minutes, stirring often, or until mushrooms begin to brown and soften.
5. Stir in condensed soup, Italian seasoning, and green beans; simmer 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Meanwhile, cut turkey into 1/4-inch cubes or small bite-size pieces.
6. Stir turkey into soup mixture; transfer mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Spread potatoes evenly over turkey mixture.
7. Grate cheese and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake 20-25 minutes or until gravy bubbles around outer edges. Serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
Bacon-Pecan Brussels Sprouts
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (rinsed)
4 slices bacon
1 shallot (rinsed)
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Peel any blemished leaves from sprouts and discard. Trim stems from bottom of sprouts, cut sprouts in half, and then slice thinly; set aside.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2-3 minutes. Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces (easy to do with kitchen shears) and add to pan. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring often, or until bacon just begins to crisp. Meanwhile, chop shallot.
3. Stir in shallot and pecans; cook 3-4 minutes, stirring often, or until bacon is fully crisped.
4. Stir in sugar and vinegar; add sprouts and salt. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring often, or until desired tenderness. Serve.
The cottage pie also works with leftover chicken or stewed beef. No need to brown; just stir into mushrooms in step 4. You can also use other vegetables to give it a personal touch.