-- Prepare salad through step 1 - 5 minutes
-- Prepare pasta recipe through step 2; fry bacon for salad - 15 minutes
-- Complete pasta recipe and prepare salad; serve - 15 minutes
1 tablespoon garlic butter
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen seasoning blend (diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf blend (beef/pork)
1/2 cup red wine
1 (24-ounce) jar specialty marinara sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (19-ounce) package frozen cheese-filled tortellini
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place garlic butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add seasoning blend and garlic; cover and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often, or until vegetables begin to soften.
2. Crumble meat blend into seasoning blend mixture (wash hands). Cover and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often, or until meat is brown and no pink remains. Drain, if needed.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients (except tortellini); cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated.
4. Combine in microwave-safe bowl, tortellini and one-half of the meat sauce (reserve or freeze remaining sauce for later use). Cover and microwave on HIGH 6-7 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir and serve. (Meat sauce makes 8 servings; sauce and tortellini mixture makes 4 servings.)
Endive and Blue Cheese Salad
4 heads Belgian endive (about 1 lb, rinsed)
10-12 sprigs fresh Italian parsley (rinsed)
4 slices bacon (or 1/4 cup cooked bacon pieces)
1 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 ounces premium blue cheese
1. Peel outer leaves of endive and cut off root end; discard both. Cut endive into 3/4-inch (or bite-size) pieces; chop parsley leaves coarsely. Combine both in salad bowl.
2. Fry bacon in large sauté pan on medium until crisp (if needed).
3. Squeeze juice of one-half lemon (1 tablespoon) into small bowl. Whisk in oil, salt, and pepper until well blended.
4. Crumble blue cheese and bacon into salad. Add dressing; toss and serve.
This recipe makes eight servings of sauce. Freeze the extra sauce for later use or combine with another bag of pasta to feed a larger group.