-- Preheat oven; prepare dessert through step 2 - 10 minutes
-- Prepare cole slaw recipe; begin to bake - 5 minutes
-- Prepare chicken; complete dessert and serve - 30 minutes
Tomato Pesto Chicken
2 medium tomatoes
1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto, divided
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese, divided
1. Cut six 1/4-inch-thick slices from tomatoes. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Cut each chicken breast in half; season with salt and pepper.
2. Place oil in pan, then add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes, turning only once, or until golden.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Top chicken with pesto, tomatoes, and cheese; cover and cook 10-12 minutes or until 165°F. Serve.
Cole Slaw Crisp
2 tablespoons butter
8 ozs three-color cole slaw mix
3/4 cup cole slaw dressing
1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut butter into pieces; place in bowl to soften.
2. Combine slaw, dressing, 1 cup cheese, salt, and pepper; transfer to 2-quart baking dish.
3. Mix bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup cheese into butter with fingertips until blended; spread over top. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and edges are bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes; serve warm. (Makes 6 servings.)
8 oz frozen light nondairy whipped topping
1 (11.5-ounce) frozen pecan coffee cake
1 pint strawberries (2 1/2 cups), thinly sliced
1/4 cup liquid French vanilla non-dairy creamer
1. Place topping in bowl to soften. Cut cake into 1-inch cubes. slice berries.
2. Whisk creamer into topping until smooth.
3. Layer in dessert bowl, one-half each of the cake cubes, berries, and topping; repeat. Chill until ready to serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
-- Complete your meal with rice pilaf and garlic bread.
-- The coffee cake in the dessert recipe does not need to thaw; it is easier to cut when partially frozen.