-- Prepare nuts and dressing for salad - 5 minutes
-- Prepare pasta recipe - 25 minutes
-- Complete salad; serve - 5 minutes
Tomato Mushroom Penne Pasta
1 (10-oz) package frozen meatless burgers (4 patties)
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 1/2 cups whole grain penne pasta
1 tablespoon canola oil
5 oz fresh pre-sliced onions (1 cup)
4 oz pre-sliced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 jar pasta sauce (24-26 oz)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
-- Bring water to boil for pasta.
-- Cut burgers into bite-size pieces.
-- Cut grape tomatoes in half, if desired; chop basil.
1. Cook pasta following package instructions.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions; cook 2-3 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Stir in burgers, tomatoes, and mushrooms; cook and stir 2 more minutes.
3. Stir seasoned salt and pasta sauce into tomato mixture until blended and hot. Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with basil; serve.
Chocolate Orange Macadamia Salad
1/3 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 bag baby spinach leaves (4-6 oz)
1 (11-oz) can mandarin oranges (drained)
1 oz bittersweet chocolate
-- Chop nuts.
1. Whisk together in salad bowl, marmalade, red wine vinegar, and salt. Add oil in small, steady stream, whisking continuously until blended.
2. Add spinach, nuts, and oranges to dressing; toss gently until evenly coated. Shave the chocolate, with vegetable peeler or grater, over top of salad. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
-- Complete your meal with Parmesan cheese (to top pasta), a crusty baguette, and finish with a chocolate dessert.
-- Make the salad dressing in your salad bowl. That way, it’s all ready to toss with your salad and there’s one less dish to clean!