-- Prepare dessert through step 1 and set aside - 5 minutes
-- Prepare salad and serve - 20 minutes
-- Complete dessert when ready to serve - 10 minutes
Tomato Chicken Stack Salad
12-15 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1 small shallot, finely chopped
4 large red and yellow (or heirloom) tomatoes
1 Deli chilled rotisserie chicken (plain or flavored)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive (or avocado) oil
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup crumbled feta, goat, or blue cheese
-- Slice basil; chop parsley and shallot.
-- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
-- Remove meat of chicken from bones and chop coarsely (2 cups).
1. Prepare dressing by whisking vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning, pepper, parsley, and shallots until well blended.
2. Arrange salad on serving plates, alternating tomato slices, chicken, basil strips, and crumbled cheese. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Peachy Banana Amaretto
3 medium peaches
1/4 cup cream sherry
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-- Peel peaches; cut fruit into thin slices and place in medium bowl.
-- Peel bananas; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and add to peaches.
1. Combine sherry and almond extract; then stir into fruit.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place butter in pan, then stir in brown sugar; bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, to melt sugar.
3. Stir in cinnamon and fruit mixture; cook 3-4 minutes or until fruit begins to soften. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with pasta salad, crusty bread, extra oil/herbs for dipping, and green tea.
-- The dessert fruit sauce can also be served over ice cream or slices of pound cake.