-- Prepare shells and begin to bake - 30 minutes
-- Prepare salad; serve - 10 minutes
Stuffed Shells With Marinara
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh pre-diced onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lb mild Italian chicken (or pork) sausage
18 jumbo pasta shells (6 oz)
1 jar tomato pasta sauce (marinara), 24-26 oz, divided
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup shredded Italian-blend cheese
-- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
-- Bring water to boil for pasta.
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions and garlic. Remove sausage casing: cut in half lengthwise (butterfly), turn sausage over, and peel the casing away. Add sausage to the onions (wash hands); brown 5-6 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage, or until no pink remains.
2. Cook pasta shells following the package instructions.
3. Stir one-half of the pasta sauce into sausage; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Chop parsley. Remove pan from heat and stir in parsley.
4. Drain shells; spoon sausage mixture into each shell and arrange in baking dish. Pour remaining pasta sauce over shells; sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish with foil; bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce bubbles around edges. Serve.
Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
1 medium yellow tomato
1 small red bell pepper
1/2 seedless cucumber
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup lite red wine/olive oil vinaigrette
1 bag spring mix salad blend (5-7 oz)
2 tablespoons raisins
-- Cut tomato, bell pepper, and one-half of the cucumber into bite-size pieces.
1. Squeeze lemon for juice (2 tablespoons) into salad bowl; whisk in dressing until blended. Add salad greens and toss to coat.
2. Add remaining ingredients; toss and serve.
-- Complete your meal with Italian bread and an apple (or fruit) pie for dessert.
-- Add fresh flavor to the pasta by slicing 3-4 fresh basil leaves thinly; add with the parsley.