-- Prepare casserole and begin to bake - 10 minutes
-- Prepare French toast; serve - 30 minutes
Stuffed French Toast
1 loaf Bakery 100% whole wheat bread (unsliced)
1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt with honey
1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
2 large zip-top bags
1/2 cup strawberry jam (or guava filling)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
-- Cut bread into eight 1-inch-thick pieces.
-- Combine yogurt and cream cheese; transfer to zip-top (or pastry) bag. Place jam in second bag. Seal each bag, then snip off one corner.
1. Whisk together milk, eggs, nutmeg, and vanilla; pour into large shallow dish.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2-3 minutes. Place 4 bread slices in egg mixture; soak 20 seconds, turning occasionally. Place butter and oil in pan, then carefully place bread in pan; cook 2-3 minutes on first side or until golden.
3. Turn bread over. Squeeze 2 tablespoons cheese mixture over two slices and 2 tablespoons jam over other two slices; cook 1-2 minutes or until golden. Assemble with one slice of each; remove from pan and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining bread. Serve.
Hash Brown Casserole
butter-flavored cooking spray
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese blend
1 (10.75-oz) can reduced-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup reduced-fat condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (20-oz) bag refrigerated shredded hash browns
-- Preheat oven 400°F; coat 2-quart baking dish with spray.
-- Slice green onions; place in medium bowl.
1. Stir in cheese, both soups, sour cream, and pepper. Stir in hash browns.
2. Transfer mixture to baking dish; bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with maple syrup, sausage, orange juice, and fresh fruit.
-- The French toast recipe can be made with your favorite flavor of preserves, pie filling, or even fresh fruit.