-- Prepare soup through step 3 - 10 minutes
-- Prepare arepas; serve - 20 minutes
Spanish-Style White Bean Soup
1 fresh jalapeño pepper (rinsed)
4 fresh garlic cloves
4 ounces fresh chorizo (1/2 link)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup pre-diced onions
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Complete seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 (15.8-ounce) cans great Northern beans (drained)
1 (32-ounce) box reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) can Spanish tomato sauce
1. Cut jalapeño in half; remove seeds and membranes. Chop jalapeño and garlic finely. Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Cut chorizo in half lengthwise; cut into 1/4-inch pieces (wash hands).
2. Place oil in saucepan; swirl to coat. Add jalapeño, garlic, chorizo, onions, bay leaves, Complete seasoning, and pepper; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions begin to soften.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer up to 20 minutes to blend flavors. Remove bay leaves and serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (8.5-ounce) package corn muffin mix
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Place water and butter in microwave-safe cup; microwave on HIGH 1-2 minutes or until water is boiling and butter is melted.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place remaining ingredients (except cooking spray) in medium bowl. Stir in hot butter mixture until well-blended.
3. Remove pan from heat and coat with cooking spray. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons batter into pan, making 4 cakes, and flattening each with spatula. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
4. Repeat with remaining batter, after removing pan from heat and coating with cooking spray again. Serve warm.
We call for removing the pan from the heat source before coating with cooking spray, due to the possibility of open flames with gas stoves.