Prepare dessert through step 1; prepare rice or potatoes (if desired) and serve - 30 minutes
Assemble dessert when ready to serve
1 cup frozen sofrito (Spanish cooking sauce)
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup tomato trinity mix (fresh pre-sliced tomatoes, bell peppers, onions)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions (undrained)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 whole cut-up chicken (about 3.5 lbs)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup white wine
1. Thaw sofrito under cool running water. Meanwhile, preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes.
2. Place 1 tablespoon of the oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic, tomato trinity, canned tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of liquid evaporates.
3. Meanwhile, season both sides of chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (wash hands).
4. Transfer sauce to medium bowl; set aside. Place remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken, with skin side down (wash hands); cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned. Turn chicken and cook 3-4 more minutes to brown second side.
5. Stir sofrito (1 cup) and wine into tomato sauce; pour over chicken. (Chill remaining sofrito for another use.) Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Serve.
1 box vanilla instant pudding mix (4-serving size)
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup mango nectar
6 (1-ounce) shortcake dessert shells
3/4 cup aerosol whipped topping
6 tablespoons dried tropical fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple)
1. Whisk together in medium bowl, pudding mix, milk, and mango nectar. Cover and chill 10 or more minutes.
2. Spoon pudding into dessert shells. Top with whipped topping and dried fruit; serve.
Sofrito is made by cooking garlic, onions, and peppers in oil until they are tender and thickened. This mixture can be used to give a flavor boost to meats, vegetables, or soups.