-- Prepare sweet potatoes and begin to bake - 10 minutes
-- After 10 minutes bake time, begin steaks - 10 minutes
-- Complete both recipes and serve - 15 minutes
Simple Seared Steaks
1 1/2 teaspoons steak seasoning blend
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (such as ribeye, NY strip, or top sirloin)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Combine seasonings, then coat both sides of steaks (wash hands).
2. Place oil in pan, then add steaks; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until steaks are 145°F (for medium rare). Remove steaks from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Slice steaks and serve.
Sweet Potato Scoops
2 medium sweet potatoes (rinsed)
1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado (raw) sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Cut potatoes into slices (about 1-inch-thick; no need to peel). Make a shallow depression in each slice using a tablespoon (or melon baller). Place potatoes in microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
2. Arrange potatoes in 13- x 9-inch baking dish, hollow side up; cover with foil. Bake 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Combine remaining ingredients (except butter). Cut butter into small pieces and top each potato slice, sprinkling liberally with spice mixture. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, fresh cut fruit, dinner rolls, and carrot cake for dessert.
-- Sweet potatoes are nutritional powerhouses. Adding the microwave step shortens the bake time by at least 10 minutes.