-- Microwave plantains for rice - 5 minutes
-- Prepare chicken recipe; begin to brown chicken - 5 minutes
-- Complete chicken; complete rice and serve - 25 minutes
Simple Malta Chicken
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup pre-sliced green onions
1 cup Malta beverage, divided
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon cilantro herb paste
1. Preheat large nonstick sauté pan on medium 2-3 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place oil in pan, then add chicken (wash hands); cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned. Chop pepper.
2. Add peppers and green onions to chicken; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until peppers are tender.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in 1/2 cup Malta; cook 2-3 minutes or until chicken is 165°F. Remove chicken from pan.
4. Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup Malta, mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, and herb paste until blended. Stir mixture into peppers and onions; cook 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Return chicken to pan, turning to coat both sides. Serve chicken over rice.
1 (11-oz) box frozen ripe plantains, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8.5-oz) pouch precooked rice
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup presliced green onions
1. Microwave plantains following package instructions. Mash plantains with back of spoon until chunky.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add rice; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until hot.
3. Stir in broth and plantains, then reduce heat to low; simmer and stir 2-3 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Remove pan from heat; stir in green onions and serve.
-- Complete your meal with black beans, Cuban bread, and guava pastries for dessert.
-- You can replace the frozen plantains with 1-2 fresh, very ripe plantains (black skins) to add a more authentic flavor and natural sweetness.