-- Preheat oven; prepare chicken recipe through step 2 - 10 minutes
-- Prepare arepas through step 1; continue chicken (and prepare rice, if serving) - 10 minutes
-- While chicken simmers, prepare salsa; serve - 25 minutes
Simmered Chicken With Sausage
2 lb skinless chicken thighs
3 links mild Italian sausage (12 oz)
1 (10-oz) bag frozen seasoning blend (diced onions, celery, bell peppers)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes with jalapeño (undrained)
1 (14.5-oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (5.75-oz) jar sliced green olives, drained (optional)
1. Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place chicken in pan (wash hands); cook 3-5 minutes, turning to brown on both sides. Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1-inch-long pieces (wash hands).
2. Add sausage to chicken; cook 3-5 more minutes, turning to evenly brown on all sides.
3. Add seasoning blend and garlic to meat; cook 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, and pepper. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. Stir in olives and serve over rice. (Makes 8 servings.)
Sweet Bean Salsa Arepas
Nonstick aluminum foil
2 (11.2-oz) packages frozen arepas (corn and cheese patties)
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup mango (or pineapple jam)
1 can black beans (15-16 oz), drained/rinsed
1/2 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 large avocado, coarsely chopped<
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Arrange arepas in single layer on baking sheet; bake 18-20 minutes or until cheese melts.
2. Squeeze juice of lime (1 tablespoon) into medium bowl; whisk in mango jam until smooth, then add beans. Chop onion, avocado, and cilantro; stir into beans.
3. Arrange arepas on serving platter; top with the bean salsa and serve.
-- Complete your meal with rice, Cuban bread, and Key lime pie for dessert.
-- Chicken legs, or leg quarters, make an excellent choice in this recipe. The darker, richer meat of these bone-in cuts provides a moister, more finished dish.