-- Prepare cherry pie filling; prepare salad recipe through step 2 - 20 minutes
-- While orzo cooks, complete cherry pies - 10 minutes
-- Complete salad recipe; serve - 5 minutes
Scallops With Ginger Orzo Salad
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup sugar snap peas, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
12 oz sea scallops
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup orzo pasta
3/4 cup Asian ginger vinaigrette
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
-- Chop pepper, onions, peas, and cilantro.
1. Preheat large nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Place scallops in pan; cook (or sear) 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm. Place water in same pan; bring to a boil.
2. Stir in pasta and reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until tender and water has been absorbed.
3. Stir in peppers, onions, peas, cilantro, vinaigrette, and scallops; reduce heat to low and cook 1-2 minutes or just until scallops are opaque (veggies will be crisp-tender). Remove from heat; top with sesame seeds and serve.
Cherry Pocket Pies
12 slices Bakery thin white sandwich bread
1 cup fresh cherries
2 tablespoons cherry jam
1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
-- Remove crusts from bread.
-- Remove cherry stems and pits; chop coarsely.
1. Combine cherries, jam, and cheese for filling.
2. Brush six bread slices with egg, then top each bread slice with 2 tablespoons of the cherry mixture. Add second bread slice; crimp edges using a fork.
3. Preheat large nonstick sauté pan on medium 2-3 minutes. Brush pies with egg. Place butter in pan, then add pies; cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
-- Complete your meal with a fresh baguette.
-- You can garnish the pocket pies with powdered sugar and whipped cream.