-- Preheat oven
-- Prepare bread; begin to bake - 10 minutes
-- Prepare pasta recipe; serve - 25 minutes
Sausage and Artichoke Bolognese
1 (12-oz) jar roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
3 (4-oz) links frozen pork (or chicken) Italian sausage, thawed
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 oz ziti pasta
1 (12-oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
3/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese blend
-- Bring water to boil for pasta.
-- Chop peppers, tomatoes (2 cups), and garlic.
-- Chop olives; set aside. Chop parsley; set aside.
-- Remove sausage casing: cut almost in half lengthwise (butterfly); turn sausage over and peel casing away.
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add sausage; brown 5-6 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage, or until no pink remains.
2. Cook and drain pasta following package instructions.
3. Stir into sausage: garlic, peppers, tomatoes, artichokes, and pesto; cook 3-4 minutes or until heated.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cream and olives; cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
5. Stir parsley and pepper into sausage mixture. Top pasta with sauce and sprinkle with cheese; serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
Sun-Dried Tomato Bread
olive oil (to coat pan)
1 can French bread dough (11-13 oz)
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese blend, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet lightly with oil. Unroll dough on work surface and coat with pesto, up to 1 inch from edge.
2. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese; roll lengthwise. Place on baking sheet, seam side down; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend and cheesecake for dessert.
-- You can use the sausage and artichoke mixture to enhance your favorite lasagna recipe.