-- Soak cod fillets - 2 hours (or overnight)
-- Prepare rice (if serving); prepare fish - 20 minutes
-- Prepare beans and serve - 15 minutes
Salt Cod With Tomatoes
1 lb frozen boneless, salted cod fillets (bacalao)
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups water
1/2 cup sherry (or dry white wine)
1 cup sliced, stuffed green olives
1 bay leaf
-- Soak and rinse cod fillets by placing in bowl and covering with water for 2 hours (or overnight). Change water several times to remove excess salt.
-- Chop parsley and garlic.
-- Chop green pepper, onion, and tomatoes (2 cups each); cut fish into large pieces (wash hands).
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add fish; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until fish is tender and begins to brown slightly.
2. Add peppers, onions, parsley, and garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and cover; cook 5-8 more minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat; can stand covered until ready to serve. Remove bay leaf and serve.
Beans With Candied Garlic
24 oz fresh trimmed green beans
3 slices bacon
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Place beans in microwave-safe bowl and cover; microwave on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until beans are hot and tender.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Cut bacon into small pieces while adding to pan (wash hands); cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Slice garlic.
3. Stir garlic slices into bacon; cook and stir 1 minute or until garlic begins to soften (do not brown garlic). Stir in sugar, then vinegar; cook and stir 2-3 minutes to dissolve sugar.
4. Stir in green beans and pepper and cover; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until beans are coated and tender. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with rice, Cuban bread, and pastries for dessert.
-- The longer you soak the salt cod, the less salty it will be.