Preheat oven and prepare lentils through step 1 - 5 minutes
Prepare biscuits and begin to bake - 10 minutes
Complete lentils and serve - 20 minutes
1 (16-ounce) bag dried lentils
6 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen diced onions
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 (24-ounce) jar thick and chunky salsa
1 (4 1/2-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 (1 1/4-ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
1 (1-ounce) package fresh cilantro
1. Rinse and sort lentils. Place water and lentils in large saucepan; cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan; stir in onions and garlic. Cook 8-10 minutes, until onions and garlic begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Drain lentils and return to saucepan. Stir onion mixture, salsa, green chiles and dry taco seasoning mix into lentils. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
4. Remove large stems from (rinsed) cilantro; coarsely chop, and then measure (1/3 cup). Stir into lentils; remove from heat and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 220kcal; FAT 3g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 997mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 17g; PROTEIN 15g; VIT A 11%; VIT C 49%; CALC 1%; IRON 28%
Garlic and Herb Biscuits
2 tablespoons garlic butter
aluminum foil (optional)
1 (16 1/3-ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place butter in microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted.
2. Line baking sheet with foil (for ease of clean up). Brush tops and bottoms of biscuits with melted butter and place 1-2 inches apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasoning.
3. Bake 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 215kcal; FAT 12g; CHOL 5mg; SODIUM 574mg; CARB 23g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 6%
Lentils are the comfort food of India; the starter of every meal, often eaten with hot steaming rice. Lentils are also served with greens, squash or carrots.