-- Prepare roast through step 2 - 40 minutes
-- After 1 hour roasting time, prepare sweet potatoes - 1 hour
-- Prepare chutney and slice pork; serve - 40 minutes
Pork and Apple Chutney
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
3 teaspoons apple pie spice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pork loin or crown roast (8-10 lb)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup dried mixed berries (or cranberries)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or apple cider)
Juice of 2 limes (2 tablespoons)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine chili powder, Italian seasoning, apple pie spice, and salt. Coat pork with 2 tablespoons oil; season on all sides with 3 tablespoons seasoning mix. Place pork in roasting pan (wash hands); cook 30 minutes to brown roast.
2. Reduce heat to 350°F; roast 1 1/4 hours or until pork is 145°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Transfer roast to cutting board; let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
3. Prepare chutney while pork stands. Cut apples into small cubes (about 3 cups). Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add apples and remaining 2 teaspoons seasoning mixture; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in sugar, berries, and vinegar; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by one-half and apples are tender. Squeeze limes for juice; add to sauce. Slice pork and serve with sauce.
Sweet Potatoes With Candied Bacon
4 medium microwave-ready sweet potatoes
3 slices thick-cut bacon
1 (3-oz) package shallots, thinly sliced
1 cup pecan halves
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup semi-soft garlic/herb cheese, crumbled
1. Microwave sweet potatoes on HIGH 8-10 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium 1-2 minutes. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces and place in pan; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until lightly crisp. Meanwhile, slice shallots, then add to bacon; cook 1-2 more minutes or until tender.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in pecans and sugar; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until evenly coated. Remove from heat; let stand to cool.
4. Cut potatoes into 1-inch-thick slices; arrange in overlapping layers (shingle) in 13- x 9-inch serving dish. Top with bacon mixture and cheese; serve.
-- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, croissants, and pumpkin pie for dessert.
-- You can also cook the sweet potatoes whole, then pinch the center open and add toppings individually.