Prepare osso buco and slow cook - 8 to 10 hours
20 minutes before serving, prepare risotto; serve - 20 minutes
1/4 cup flour
large zip-top bag
2 pounds veal shanks (about 4 shanks)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen seasoning blend (contains diced onions, green/red peppers and celery)
1 (8-ounce) bag shredded carrots
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 (12-ounce) jar chicken gravy
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon Maggi seasoning sauce
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 bay leaves
1. Preheat large saucepan on high 1-2 minutes. Preheat slow cooker on low. Place flour in zip-top bag. Season veal shanks with salt and pepper; add to bag, seal tightly and shake to coat.
2. Place olive oil in saucepan. Add veal; cook 3 minutes, turning occasionally, to brown. Add seasoning blend and cook 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Place veal shanks into bottom of slow cooker and top with remaining mixture, covering veal completely. Cover and cook 8 to 10 hours.
4. Skim any excess fat from top. Remove and discard bones, rosemary sprig and bay leaves. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 317kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 118mg;
SODIUM 736mg; CARB 17g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 34g;
VIT A 165%; VIT C 21%; CALC 3%; IRON 10%
1 cup risotto
1 (14-ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon saffron threads (18 sprigs)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
1. Place risotto, broth and saffron in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave uncovered on HIGH 5 minutes.
2. Let stand 1 minute; stir and microwave on HIGH 4 more minutes.
3. Stir in water and cheese. Heat on HIGH 4 more minutes.
4. Stir, cover and let stand 4 minutes. Stir and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 164kcal; FAT <1g; CHOL 2mg;
SODIUM 268mg; CARB 37g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 5g;
VIT A 0%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 0%
Osso Buco is a traditional Italian dish that is usually roasted. We have adapted this recipe to slow cook so it can be ready for dinner when you are.