-- Prepare chicken; begin to marinate - 5 minutes
-- Prepare peas - 10 minutes
-- Complete chicken; serve - 15 minutes
1/3 cup fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Large zip-top bag
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 lb chicken breast tenders
-- Chop oregano leaves and garlic.
-- Squeeze lime for juice (about 2 tablespoons).
1. Combine in zip-top bag: oregano, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken and shake to coat; let stand 10 minutes (or overnight) to marinate.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until chicken is 165°F. Serve.
Creamy Pigeon Peas
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup trinity mix (fresh diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
1 (15-oz) can green pigeon peas (drained)
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup capers, drained
1/2 teaspoon ham base
-- Chop oregano leaves. Cut lime in half.
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add trinity mix; cook 2-3 minutes or until tender.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in peas, coconut milk, capers, and flavoring; simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Squeeze lime for juice (about 2 tablespoons); stir lime juice and oregano into peas. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with yellow rice, plantains, and guava pastries for dessert.
-- Chicken thighs would be a great substitute for tenders in this recipe.