-- Prepare chicken and begin to bake - 15 minutes
-- About 35 minutes before serving, prepare sweet potatoes; slice chicken and serve - 1 hour, 20 minutes
Orange Roasted Chicken
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 whole roasting chicken (about 3 1/2 lb)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place marmalade and broth in small saucepan on low; cook 4-5 minutes or until marmalade melts.
2. Meanwhile, pat chicken dry; loosen skin from breast of chicken and around legs and wings. Sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over entire chicken, including inner cavity and under skin. Place chicken, breast side up, in 9- x 13-inch baking dish (wash hands). Remove orange sauce from heat.
3. Bake chicken 15 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from oven and brush with 1/3 of the orange sauce. Bake 45-60 more minutes, basting two more times, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness.
5. Let chicken stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice chicken thinly and serve.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 lb, rinsed)
3 fresh garlic cloves
1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons turbinado (raw) sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Peel sweet potatoes; cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Chop garlic coarsely; place potatoes and garlic in medium saucepan.
2. Add chicken broth; cover and cook on medium-high 10¿15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
3. Remove potatoes from heat; do not drain. Mash potatoes with spoon; stir in remaining ingredients and serve.
Cooking the sweet potatoes in the reduced-sodium chicken broth gives great flavor without a lot of salt or fat.