-- Preheat oven, prepare fries - 10 minutes
-- Prepare burgers; serve - 20 minutes
Mediterranean Buffalo Burgers
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 sun-dried tomato halves in oil, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar (or honey)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 lb ground buffalo
1 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
4 whole wheat thin sandwich buns
2 cups baby arugula leaves
-- Preheat grill (or grill pan).
-- Slice one-half each cucumber and onion (about 1 cup each).
-- Chop tomatoes (about 3 tablespoons).
1. Combine in small bowl, rice vinegar, agave nectar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir in cucumber and onions and set aside.
2. Combine meat, herb seasoning, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; form into 4 patties. Place meat in grill pan (or on grill); grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until 160°F. Combine feta and tomatoes until blended; divide over top of patties then remove from heat.
3. Toast buns lightly. Assemble burgers in this order: bun, arugula leaves, cucumber mixture, burger, more cucumbers (optional), and top of bun. Serve.
Portabella Herb Fries
12 oz pre-sliced portabella mushrooms
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg whites)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Large zip-top bag, optional
1/4 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning
-- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
-- Discard stems and gills (dark brown layers) from mushrooms.
1. Whisk eggs until frothy; place in shallow bowl. Combine bread crumbs and cheese in zip-top bag (or shallow bowl).
2. Place 3-4 mushrooms into eggs, turning to coat both sides. Dip or toss mushrooms with bread crumbs until evenly coated; place in single layer on pan. Repeat with all mushrooms. Coat mushrooms with spray; season with herb seasoning. Bake 10 minutes.
3. Turn mushrooms; bake 5-7 more minutes or until tender and golden. May be served with ranch or other dipping sauce.
-- Complete your meal with fresh cut fruit and chocolate pudding for dessert
-- This recipe can easily be made with ground beef or ground turkey.