-- Prepare risotto through step 2 - 20 minutes
-- Prepare salad and complete risotto; serve - 15 minutes
Lemon Shrimp Risotto
1 tablespoon butter
3 fresh garlic cloves
1 cup frozen seasoning blend (diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
3 tablespoons diced pimientos (drained)
1 cup risotto rice
2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 lb cooked shrimp (tails off; thawed, if needed)
1 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
1. Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place butter in pan; swirl to coat. Crush garlic cloves, using garlic press, into pan. Use knife to remove garlic from bottom of press. Stir in seasoning blend and pimientos. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions begin to soften.
2. Stir in risotto; cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Stir in broth and saffron. Cover and bring to boil; boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender. Meanwhile, pat shrimp dry.
4. Stir shrimp into risotto. Squeeze juice of one-half lemon into risotto; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Stir and serve.
1 lemon (for zest, rinsed)
2 tablespoons light raspberry vinaigrette
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 bag baby salad greens (5-7 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
1. Peel several strips of lemon peel, without any white pith, with zester (or vegetable peeler). Chop finely for zest (1 tablespoon). Place in small bowl; whisk together with vinaigrette, salt, and pepper.
2. Place remaining ingredients in salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat; serve.
Saffron has a spicy aroma, a pleasantly bitter flavor, and a beautiful red gold color.