Kalamata-Marsala Lamb With Tea-Scented Couscous
- Makes 4 Servings
- Total Time:
- up to 2 hours
- Active Time:
- 30 minutes
-- Prepare lamb and begin to roast - 10 minutes
-- Roast lamb - 1-1 1/2 hours
-- While lamb stands, prepare couscous and sauce; serve - 25 minutes
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
2 1/4 lb lamb leg shank
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup Marsala wine
1 (10.25-oz) can beef gravy
-- Preheat oven to 475°F.
-- Slice olives.
1. Season lamb on all sides with salt and pepper. Place lamb on rack in roasting pan (wash hands). Place lamb in oven and immediately reduce heat to 375°F. Roast 1-1 1/2 hours or until 145°F (for medium-rare) up to 170°F (for well-done). Transfer lamb to cutting board; let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
2. Place Marsala in medium saucepan on medium heat; cook 2-3 minutes or until reduced by about one-fourth. Stir in olives and gravy; cook 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
3. Slice lamb and serve with sauce. (Makes 6 servings.)
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup fresh pre-diced onions
1 1/4 cups water
1 (5.8-oz) box couscous with garlic/olive oil
1/2 cup dried mixed fruit bits
2 chai tea bags
1/4 cup sliced almonds
-- Chop parsley.
-- Zest/grate lemon peel (no white)
-- Squeeze juice of lemon.
1. Preheat medium saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions; cook 2-3 minutes or until soft.
2. Add water, spice packet from couscous, fruit, lemon zest, and tea bags. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and steep tea for 1-2 minutes (squeeze and remove tea bags). Remove from heat.
3. Stir in couscous; cover and let stand 4-5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork; stir in parsley and lemon juice. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
-- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, wheat rolls, and a fruit tart for dessert.
-- Any type of dried fruit will add great flavor to the couscous.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 480kcal; FAT 23g; CHOL 155mg; SODIUM 770mg; CARB 9g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 47g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 20%
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 300kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 420mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 7g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 15%; CALC 4%; IRON 6%