-- Prepare stew and begin to simmer - 20 minutes
-- Let stew simmer - 1-2 hours
-- Prepare potatoes, complete stew; serve - 30 minutes
Hearty Beef Stew
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 1/2 lb beef top round roast
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup unsalted beef stock
1 (14.5-oz) can diced no-salt-added tomatoes (undrained)
-- Chop onion, garlic, and thyme.
-- Peel carrots, if desired; slice carrots and zucchini into 1-inch pieces.
-- Cut beef into 1-inch pieces (wash hands).
1. Preheat large stock pot on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Coat beef with spray; season with salt and pepper. Place beef in pan; cook 1-2 minutes on all sides to brown meat. Remove beef from pan.
2. Coat onions, carrots, and garlic with spray and add to pan; cook 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Reduce heat to low; return beef to pot. Add broth, tomatoes, and thyme, then cover; simmer 1 1/2-2 hours or until beef is tender.
4. Stir in zucchini; cook 4-5 more minutes or until zucchini is tender. Serve.
Lemony Baby Potatoes
1 (24-oz) bag baby potatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, coarsely chopped
zest/juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
-- Preheat oven to 425°F.
-- Halve potatoes (place on baking sheet); chop parsley, garlic, and capers.
-- Zest/grate lemon peel (no white; 2 teaspoons); squeeze for juice (2 tablespoons).
1. Coat potatoes with spray; season with salt and pepper. Bake 18-20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Combine in medium bowl: lemon juice, zest, capers, and garlic; whisk in oil until blended. Toss potatoes with dressing and parsley. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend, dinner rolls, and apple pie for dessert.
-- This recipe can easily be made in a slow-cooker; cook for 3-4 hours on low or until tender.