-- Prepare ham; begin baking - up to 1 1/2 hours
-- During last 10 minutes of bake time, begin green beans - 10 minutes
-- While ham stands, prepare onion sauce; slice ham and serve - 25 minutes
Ham With Sweet Onion Sauce
1 Deli fully cooked boneless ham (5-6 lb)
2/3 cup water, divided
1 packet onion gravy mix (.87-ounce)
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice (undrained)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup cream sherry
2 tablespoons Deli-style mustard
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove all packaging; place ham
in shallow baking pan (wash hands). Add 1/3 cup of the water to pan. Tent ham with aluminum foil, sealing edges tightly to the pan. Bake about 15 minutes per pound or just until internal temperature at center of ham is 130°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Remove ham from oven and let stand 10-20 minutes before slicing (temperature will rise during stand time to 140°F).
2. While ham stands, combine remaining ingredients in medium saucepan until blended; bring to boil on medium-high, stirring occasionally. Slice ham and serve with sauce. (Makes 12 servings.)
Gourmet Green Beans
2 (12-ounce) bags fresh snipped green beans (snapped, if desired)
8 ounces pre-sliced baby portabella mushrooms (rinsed)
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons garlic butter
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1. Place beans, mushrooms, and water in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 12-14 minutes, stirring once, or until crisp tender.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add sesame seeds; heat 1-2 minutes, stirring often, or until lightly browned.
3. Drain beans and mushrooms; add to pan. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until desired tenderness. Serve.
The key to a juicy, tender ham is low, slow cooking. Ham is best when
heated at 350°F or less.