-- Prepare fruit relish and set aside - 5 minutes
-- Continue sausage recipe through step 2 and prepare couscous through step 2 - 15 minutes
-- Grill sausage and complete sandwiches; fluff couscous and serve - 10 minutes
Grilled Sausage With Fruit Relish
2 kiwifruit (rinsed)
1 mango or papaya (rinsed), (or 1 cup fresh papaya slices)
1 carambola (star fruit), optional (rinsed)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups water
1 cup apple juice
4 fully cooked chicken (or turkey) sausage links, about 3/4 lb
4 whole grain hot dog or sandwich buns
1. Peel fruit (except carambola), remove seeds, and cut each into very small pieces (about 2 cups); place in medium bowl. Stir in vinegar and salt; set aside.
2. Preheat grill (or grill pan). Combine in medium saucepan, water, apple juice, and sausage links (wash hands). Bring to a boil on high. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 minutes or until hot.
3. Place sausage links on grill or grill pan (wash hands); close lid of grill (or cover loosely with foil). Grill 5-7 minutes or until outside of sausage is crisp and brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.)
4. Place one sausage on each bun; top with fruit relish. Add additional fruit relish on side and serve.
Curried Walnut Couscous
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup couscous pasta
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place walnuts, brown sugar, butter, and curry powder in medium saucepan. Cook 2-3 minutes on medium, stirring often, or until butter melts. Cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring continuously, or until thoroughly heated.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat 2 more minutes. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
This recipe is perfect for cookouts. The relish can be made several hours ahead of time and the couscous is great served warm or cold.