-- Prepare soup through step 4 - 15 minutes
-- Prepare salad; serve - 10 minutes
Gluten-Free Chicken and Dumpling Soup
1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
1 celery rib, thickly sliced
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
1 large egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup gluten-free baking mix (+ more as needed)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon gluten-free poultry seasoning, divided
1 (32-oz) box gluten-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
-- Slice carrot and celery into 1/2-inch-thick slices; chop onion (1 cup).
-- Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces (wash hands).
-- Combine egg, milk, and oil until well blended.
1. Combine in medium bowl: baking mix, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning. Make a well in center of dry mix; add egg mixture to well and stir in baking mix until mixture becomes stiff and dough can be worked into a firm ball.
2. Place dough on work surface sprinkled with more baking mix. Roll dough out until 1/4-1/2-inch thick; cut into 1-inch-square dumplings.
3. Place in large stock pot: broth, carrots, celery, onions, chicken, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning; bring just to a simmer on medium heat.
4. Reduce heat to low and drop dumplings gently into soup (do NOT stir). Cover and cook 8-9 minutes (without stirring) or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve.
1/2 cup feta cheese, cubed
1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
Zest/Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 bag baby arugula leaves (5-6 oz)
2 tablespoons honey
-- Cut cheese into cubes. Slice 1/2 fennel bulb (1 cup).
-- Zest/grate lemon peel (no white; 1/2 teaspoon); squeeze lemon for juice (2 tablespoons)
1. Whisk lemon juice, zest, salt, pepper, and oil until blended. Add fennel and toss gently. Let stand 3-4 minutes to marinate.
2. Divide arugula and place on serving plates; top with fennel mixture and feta. Drizzle with honey; serve.
-- Complete your meal with fresh cut fruit for dessert .
-- If you must follow a gluten-free diet, be sure to check all of the ingredients you are using for these recipes to be sure they meet your dietary requirements.
-- Not on a gluten-free diet? This recipe works with regular baking mix, but the dough will not be dry enough to roll out. Gently drop dough by spoonfuls into broth mixture; add 7-10 more minutes cook time.
Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change and vary by brand. If you have any questions concerning ingredients in a product, contact the manufacturer.