-- Preheat oven
-- Prepare fish and begin to bake - 10 minutes
-- Prepare garbanzos; serve - 20 minutes
Easy Baked Fish
3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
1 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
4 cod, haddock, or basa fillets (1 1/2 lb; thawed, if needed)
1/2 teaspoon adobo with pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the canola oil. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika in shallow bowl.
2. Squeeze juice of lemon over fish. Season both sides of fish with adobo, then dip both sides in bread crumb mixture. Arrange fish in baking dish (wash hands). 3. Drizzle remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil over fish. Bake 12-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (or flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork). Bake time may vary depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve.
Garbanzos and Spinach
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 (15.5-ounce) cans garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup pre-diced onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup sofrito (Spanish cooking sauce)
1 bag fresh baby spinach leaves (5-6 oz)
1 1/2 teaspoons Complete seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add beans, onions, and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions begin to soften.
2. Stir in sofrito; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and cook 2-3 more minutes or until spinach wilts. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
This recipe is low in total fat, fitting perfectly into a healthy diet. The spinach provides lutein, an antioxidant important to eye health, while the garbanzo beans provide iron, fiber, and zinc.