-- Prepare salad recipe through step 2 - 15 minutes
-- Prepare steak recipe; grill steaks - 10 minutes
-- Complete salad while steaks stand; serve - 5 minutes
Dry-Rub Steaks and Barbecue Sauce
1 tablespoon raw (coarse) sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle (or chili) powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (ribeye, strip, or tenderloin)
1 cup hickory barbecue sauce
1. Preheat grill pan (or grill). Combine sugar, cumin, chipotle, salt, pepper, and oil. Coat both sides of steak with mixture (wash hands).
2. Place steaks in grill pan (or on grill); grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until 145°F (for medium-rare). Remove steaks from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Heat barbecue sauce in microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes or until hot. Stir and serve with steaks.
Grilled Watermelon Salad
1 tablespoon + 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
4 seedless watermelon wedges (about 2 lb)
4 cups spring mix salad blend (4 oz)
2 oz honey (or regular) goat cheese, crumbled
8 teaspoons white balsamic glaze (or honey)
1. Preheat grill pan (or grill) on medium-high. Combine in medium bowl: 1 tablespoon oil with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; brush oil mixture evenly over watermelon.
2. Place watermelon in grill pan (or on grill); cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks are visible. Remove slices from grill; set aside until ready to assemble salad.
3. Divide salad blend on 4 serving plates; top with watermelon, then crumble goat cheese over each salad.
4. Whisk remaining 4 teaspoons oil, glaze, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper until blended. Drizzle over salads and serve.
-- Complete your meal with corn on the cob, whole wheat bread, and apple pie for dessert.
-- The steak seasoning mixture would also be perfect for ribs or chicken.