-- Begin to bake chicken - 10 minutes
-- Continue chicken through step 3 - 20 minutes
-- Complete chicken and prepare salad; serve - 10 minutes
Cranberry Almond Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 lb)
1 leek, cut in half, then well rinsed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken in dish; bake 20 minutes. While chicken bakes, chop shallots coarsely; slice bulb and lower leaves of leeks finely (1/2 cup). Place butter in small bowl to soften.
2. Combine in small saucepan, vinegar, syrup, nutmeg, shallots, and leeks; bring to a boil on medium-high.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until liquid is thickened and has reduced by about one-half. Stir remaining ingredients into butter until blended to make topping.
4. Remove chicken from oven. Pour hot maple sauce evenly over chicken; sprinkle with cranberry topping. Bake 5-10 more minutes or until chicken is 165°F. Serve.
Beet Spinach Salad
1 bag fresh baby spinach leaves (5-6 oz)
1 (15-oz) can cut beets (well drained)
1 (11-oz) can mandarin oranges, well drained
1/4 cup poppy seed dressing
1. Place spinach in salad bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients; toss and serve.
3. Oven-Roasted Beet Spinach Salad: Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove beet greens from 3 fresh beets; wrap beets tightly in foil. Bake 40-50 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Unwrap foil and easily remove skin by rubbing firmly with paper towels. Slice and add to salad.
-- Complete your meal with mashed potatoes, peas, dinner rolls, and apple pie for dessert.
-- For an extra special salad, choose the option for roasting fresh beets. Begin to bake about 30 minutes before beginning chicken.