-- Bread chicken and begin to cook - 10 minutes
-- While chicken cooks, prepare grits; complete chicken and serve - 15 minutes
Country Garden Chicken
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup chicken breading mix
1 lb boneless chicken cutlets
1 tablespoon + 1 cup water, divided
1/4 cup pre-diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup pre-diced green peppers
1/4 cup pre-diced red onions
2 teaspoons vegetable seasoning blend
1 (1.32-oz) packet country gravy mix
1. Place oil in large sauté pan; heat on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place breading mix in shallow bowl. Moisten chicken with 1 tablespoon of the water. Coat chicken on both sides, one piece at a time, by pressing into breading mix with fingertips. (For thicker breading, coat twice.)
2. Place chicken in hot oil; cook 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, or until crisp and golden. Remove chicken from pan; cover to keep warm.
3. Stir tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and vegetable seasoning into pan with drippings. Cook on medium-high 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
4. Stir in gravy mix and gradually add remaining 1 cup water, stirring continually, or until sauce is smooth. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce over chicken.
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups instant grits
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Combine all ingredients in microwave-safe bowl.
2. Cover and microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring once, or until water is absorbed. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
-- Complete your meal with okra, cornbread, and apple pie for dessert.
-- About half of the sodium in the chicken recipe comes from the breading mix. You can reduce the sodium if you choose to only lightly coat the chicken before cooking.