-- Prepare asparagus through step 1 - 5 minutes
-- Prepare fish and begin to cook - 5 minutes
-- Complete asparagus and fish; serve - 10 minutes
Cod Sauté With Citrus Béarnaise
1 large egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
4 cod loins (20 oz), thawed
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1 packet Béarnaise sauce mix (about 1 oz)
juice of 1/2 lemon
-- Place egg and bread crumbs in separate bowls.
-- Combine flour and seasoned salt in third bowl.
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium heat 3-4 minutes. Dip fish in flour (coating both sides) then dip into egg (allowing excess to drip off). Finally, dip into bread crumbs.
2. Place 2 tablespoons butter in pan, then add fish; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and 145°F (or flesh separates easily).
3. Combine milk and sauce mix in saucepan on medium-high. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and bring to a boil, stirring often.
4. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring continually, until sauce thickens. Squeeze juice of one-half lemon (about 1 tablespoon) into sauce; stir until well blended. Serve sauce over fish.
1 lb fresh asparagus spears
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
-- Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces, removing tough root end.
1. Place asparagus in microwave-safe bowl with water and cover.
2. Microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes, stirring once, or until tender. Drain asparagus; stir in butter and seasoned salt. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with Italian bread and Key lime pie for dessert.
-- Fresh orange or lime juice could be used in the sauce instead of lemon juice.