1/4 cup flour
2 large eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1 tablespoon water
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 lb jumbo peeled/deveined shrimp (thawed)
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup pineapple/apricot preserves
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Traditional Fried Shrimp:
- Place flour on plate (can be paper). Combine eggs and water in shallow bowl. Combine in second shallow bowl, panko, coconut, salt, and allspice.
- Dip each shrimp in flour (coating both sides), then dip into egg mixture (allowing excess to drip off). Finally, dip into coconut mixture. Wash hands.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add one-half of the shrimp; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Combine preserves and horseradish in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 1-2 minutes, stirring once, or until melted. Stir sauce and serve with shrimp.
Omit the coconut, salt, and allspice; instead, add 1 (more) cup panko, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano to panko mixture.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 slices Bakery NY-style cheesecake
1 (10-oz) bag bittersweet chocolate morsels (about 2 cups)
1 (20-oz) can light cherry pie filling
1/4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- Place cream in small saucepan; heat on medium-high 4-5 minutes or until hot and steaming. Arrange cheesecake slices on serving dishes.
- Remove pan from heat and add chocolate morsels (do not stir); let stand 3-4 minutes. Combine pie filling and sherry in small bowl until blended.
- Whisk chocolate mixture until smooth; pour over cheesecake slices. Top with cherry mixture. Chill until ready to serve. (Makes 6 servings.)