-- Prepare chili through step 6 - 15 minutes
-- Prepare nacho sauce - 10 minutes
-- Complete chili; top nachos with cheese sauce and serve - 5 minutes
Chili Con Carne
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup frozen seasoning blend (contains diced onions, green/red peppers, celery and parsley)
1 1/2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon beef base
salt and pepper, to taste
1 (4 1/2-ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes (Italian Herbs)
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato puree
2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup refried beans (1/2 can)
1. Spray large saucepan with cooking spray and preheat on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
2. Open all cans (do not drain) and assemble near stove.
3. Place garlic in saucepan and sauté 1 minute.
4. Add seasoning blend; cover and sauté 1 minute.
5. Add ground beef, beef base, salt and pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until beef is brown, breaking meat up as it cooks.
6. Stir in green chilies, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, pinto beans, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Stir in refried beans and cook 5 minutes. Serve.
1 cup mild, all-natural salsa
1 cup light processed American cheese
2 teaspoons cornstarch
6 ounces blue corn tortilla chips (3/4 bag)
1. Place in medium saucepan: salsa, cheese and cornstarch.
2. Heat on medium heat 6-8 minutes, whisking until cheese is melted.
3. Serve over tortilla chips.
For a reduced fat variation, substitute ground turkey breast for the beef.