-- Prepare chicken through step 1 (10 minutes)
-- Prepare hearts of palm; preheat grill (20 minutes)
-- Grill chicken; serve (15 minutes)
Chicken with Smoky Chimichurri
1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
Large zip-top bag
1. Chop parsley, oregano, and garlic; place in small bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients (except chicken) until blended. Place chicken in bag, and add one-half of the sauce; let stand 10 minutes to marinate. Preheat grill (or grill pan).
2. Place chicken on grill (discard marinade); grill 6-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is 165°F. Top chicken with remaining half of the sauce. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
Pan-Fried Hearts of Palm
1 (14-oz) can hearts of palm, drained
1 large egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup cracker meal
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup Deli mild salsa
1 (7-oz) package Deli guacamole
1. Cut hearts of palms in half lengthwise. Place egg in shallow bowl; place cracker meal in second bowl. Dip palm hearts into egg (allowing excess to drip off), then dip into cracker meal until evenly coated.
2. Preheat large, nonstick sauté pan on medium 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add hearts of palm; cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until well browned.
3. Transfer hearts of palm to paper towels (to drain); sprinkle with salt. Serve with salsa and guacamole.
-- Complete your meal with brown rice, crusty bread, and guava pastries for dessert.
-- This coating is also excellent for skirt steaks.