-- Prepare asparagus through step 1 - 10 minutes
-- Prepare chicken and couscous through step 3 - 10 minutes
-- Complete asparagus and chicken; serve - 5 minutes
Chicken Piccata With Couscous
1 3/4 cups water, divided
1 (5.6-ounce) box toasted pine nut couscous
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
large zip-top bag
4 chicken breast cutlets (about 1 lb)
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
1. Place in medium saucepan, 1 1/2 cups of the water, contents of spice packet (from couscous), and 2 tablespoons of the butter; bring to a boil on high for couscous.
2. Place flour and seasoned salt in zip-top bag; shake to mix. Add chicken (wash hands); seal tightly and shake to coat. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter; swirl to coat. Add chicken (wash hands); cook 5 minutes, without turning, or until golden.
3. Meanwhile, stir couscous into boiling water; cover, remove from heat, and set aside.
4. Turn chicken. Stir in capers, juice of one-half lemon (about 1 tablespoon), remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and remaining 1/4 cup water. Cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Fluff couscous with fork and serve.
1 pound fresh asparagus spears (rinsed)
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1. Cut 1 inch from tough root end of asparagus spears and discard. To do this quickly, group half the spears together, align ends, and slice with sharp knife. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in microwave-safe bowl with water.
2. Cover and microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes, stirring once, or until desired tenderness. Drain asparagus; stir in butter and seasoned salt. Serve.
The Chicken Piccata may also be served over angel hair pasta for a more traditional presentation.