-- Place soda glasses in freezer; prepare subs - 30 minutes
-- While burgers grill, prepare suggested sides
-- Prepare ice cream sodas; serve - 5 minutes
2 Bakery deli-style sub rolls
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons creamy mustard sauce
1 1/2 lb ground beef chuck
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup prepared Cheddar cheese sauce, divided
1/2 cup pre-diced tomatoes, divided
1/2 cup pre-diced red onions, divided
2 cups lettuce shreds, divided
-- Preheat grill (or grill pan).
-- Slice bread in half lengthwise, leaving 1-inch uncut.
1. Combine ketchup and mustard sauce; spread over inside of each sub roll. Place rolls on a sheet of foil; set aside.
2. Form ground beef into four patties (wash hands). Season beef patties with salt and pepper. Place patties on grill (or in grill pan); grill 3-4 minutes on each side or until 160°F.
3. Cut burgers in half and place inside sub rolls; top each with 1/4 cup cheese sauce, 1/4 cup tomatoes, and 1/4 cup onions. Bring sides of foil up around roll and place over indirect heat on grill; grill (or bake in oven at 400°F) 6-7 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is hot. Add lettuce shreds, then cut each sub into 3 equal pieces; serve.
Note: Cut subs into even smaller portions for an easy-to-manage appetizer.
Ice Cream Soda Sparklers
6 tablespoons cherry-flavored syrup
48 oz ginger ale, chilled
12 maraschino cherries
6 (1/2-cup) scoops vanilla (or other flavor) ice cream
-- Chill (12-16 oz) soda glasses in freezer for 30 minutes.
-- Chill soda.
1. Drizzle 1 tablespoon cherry syrup around inside rim of each glass. Slowly add ginger ale (leaving room for ice cream).
2. Add 2 cherries to each, then add ice cream (the soda will foam underneath the ice cream). Serve.
-- Complete your meal with French fries, corn on the cob, and cupcakes for dessert.
-- Try Birthday Cake-flavored ice cream for a festive, red, white, and blue dessert sparkler.