-- Assemble stew and begin to cook - 15 minutes
-- Cook stew in slow cooker - 4 to 8 hours
-- One hour before serving, complete stew; then 30 minutes later, prepare rolls and serve - 1 hour
Beef Stew With Barley
4-5 petite red potatoes
1 large onion
4 celery ribs
2 1/2 lb boneless beef chuck roast
Large zip-top bag
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
8 oz fresh cut carrots
1 (32-oz) box reduced-sodium beef broth
1 (14.5-oz) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 cup quick-cooking pearled barley
-- Cut potatoes into quarters. Peel onion; cut onion into quarters.
-- Cut celery into 1/2-inch-pieces.
-- Cut beef into 3-inch chunks and place in large zip-top bag (wash hands).
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Add flour and pepper to beef; seal bag and shake to coat. Place oil in pan, then add beef; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.
2. Place roast in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients (except barley); cook 4-6 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW.
3. Stir barley into roast about one hour before serving. Do not replace lid; cook uncovered 1 hour or until barley is tender. Remove bay leaf and serve.
Mushroom Cheese Rolls
8 Bakery potato rolls
1 (12x24-inch) sheet aluminum foil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 oz pre-sliced fresh baby portabellas
1 teaspoon browning sauce
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
8 slices provolone cheese (6 oz)
-- Preheat oven to 400°F.
-- Split rolls crosswise; arrange bottom halves of rolls in center of foil sheet.
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place butter in pan, then add mushrooms, browning sauce, salt, and pepper; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms are well browned. Chop parsley.
2. Combine parsley and mayonnaise; spread over both halves of rolls. Divide mushrooms evenly over bottom halves of rolls; top with 1 folded cheese slice and top halves of rolls.
3. Make a foil pouch. Bring up foil sides; then double-fold top and ends to seal. Bake 10 minutes to melt cheese. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with rice, a fresh salad blend, and a chocolate dessert.
-- Using pre-cut vegetables helps to save prep time, especially when making this hearty stew.