-- Prepare roast through step 4 - 25 minutes
-- After roast cooks 30 minutes, prepare potatoes; begin to bake - 40 minutes
-- Complete roast and potatoes; serve - 45 minutes
Beef Roast With Mushroom-Onion Sauce
4 lb boneless NY strip loin roast
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (1.25-oz) packet onion/garlic potato seasoning
1 (9-oz) package frozen pearl onions in cream sauce
16 oz whole mushrooms
2 cups water
1 tub concentrated homestyle beef stock
1/2 cup Marsala wine (or beef broth)
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons herb garlic butter, softened
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat roast with oil and sprinkle with seasoning; place in roasting pan (wash hands). Cook roast for 10 minutes.
2. Place onions and sauce in medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes to partially thaw. Stir mushrooms into onions.
3. Microwave water on HIGH for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until hot; stir in concentrated beef stock and wine until blended, then add to mushrooms.
4. Remove roast from oven; reduce heat to 350°F. Pour mushroom mixture around roast. Cook roast 1-1 1/4 hours or until 145°F (for medium-rare). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Roast weights vary; adjust cook time as needed.)
5. Transfer roast to cutting board; let stand 15 minutes. Chop parsley. Place butter in small saucepan and melt on medium-low; whisk in flour and parsley. Stir in mushrooms and sauce (from pan) and bring to a simmer; cook 1-2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Slice roast; serve with sauce. (Makes 8 servings.)
Dijon Herb Potatoes
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 tablespoons garlic herb butter
1 bag baby gold potatoes, halved (24-28 oz)
Zest/juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
-- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with oil. Melt butter.
-- Halve potatoes. Zest/grate lemon peel (no white; 1 teaspoon); squeeze lemon for juice (2 tablespoons).
1. Combine in medium bowl: butter, zest, juice, mustard, cheese, salt, and pepper; stir in potatoes until evenly coated. Place potatoes on baking sheet in single layer.
2. Bake 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden. Chop parsley; stir into potatoes. Serve.
-- Complete your meal with green beans, dinner rolls, and pumpkin pie for dessert.
-- If cooking roast past medium-rare, you may need to add more beef broth to keep the pan sauce from reducing too much.