-- Prepare spaghetti and begin to bake - 15 minutes
-- Prepare salad; serve - 40 minutes
8 oz spaghetti pasta
1 lb lean ground beef, 7% fat
1 cup frozen diced onions
1/4 cup frozen diced bell peppers
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute, divided)
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shredded Italian-blend cheese, divided
1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce (24-26 oz)
-- Bring water to boil for pasta. Preheat oven to 400°F.
1. Cook pasta following package instructions.
2. Combine in large bowl: beef, onions, peppers, 1 egg, oregano, seasoned salt, and garlic powder until blended. Spread mixture evenly in 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Wash hands.
3. Drain pasta thoroughly (do not rinse). Whisk in medium bowl: remaining 2 eggs until blended; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Add pasta; toss to coat. Spread pasta evenly over meat. Pour pasta sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake 30-35 minutes or until 165°F and meat is fully cooked. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. (Makes 8 servings.)
Italian Side Salad
1/4 cup canned artichoke hearts
1/4 cup roasted red peppers
4 plum tomatoes
1 bag romaine salad blend (8-10 oz)
1/4 cup sliced green olives
1/2 cup seasoned croutons
1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
-- Dice artichokes and peppers into small, bite-size pieces.
-- Quarter tomatoes lengthwise, if desired.
1. Place salad blend, artichokes, peppers, tomatoes, and olives in salad bowl; chill until ready to serve.
2. Add croutons and salad dressing; toss and serve.
-- Complete your meal with Parmesan cheese, Italian bread, olive oil and dipping spices, and creme cake.
-- The baked spaghetti comfortably serves 4, with leftovers. If serving 8, double the salad size.