-- Prepare brats through step 2 - 10 minutes
-- Prepare potatoes through step 1; continue brats through step 3 - 10 minutes
-- Complete potatoes and brats; serve - 10 minutes
Apple Kraut Bratwurst
5 links bratwurst (about 1 1/4 lbs)
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups sauerkraut
1 (3-ounce) bag sweet dried apple chips
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup red wine
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon whole caraway seed
1. Place bratwurst, water, and 1 tablespoon of the butter in large saucepan on medium-high. Bring to boil and cook 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until water evaporates and bratwurst begin to brown.
2. While brats cook, rinse sauerkraut under cool running water 30-40 seconds (to reduce tartness); drain well. Crush apple chips while placing in microwave-safe bowl. Stir in sauerkraut and brown sugar; cover.
3. Cook sauerkraut mixture in microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, wine, and sauerkraut mixture to bratwurst; sprinkle with pepper and caraway seed. Cover and cook 6-8 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until internal temperature of bratwurst reaches 160°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Serve.
Bacon Onion Potatoes
2 tablespoons cooked bacon pieces
1/4 cup pre-diced onions
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated homestyle sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place bacon, onions, and vinaigrette in pan and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are well browned.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Serve.
Thin slices of fresh sweet apples, such as Red Delicious or Gala, may be used instead of dried apple chips.