- Total Time:
- Active Time:
1 pound 93% lean ground beef
one 12-ounce package 50% less fat sausage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
4 large bell peppers
one 4-ounce can mushroom pieces
one 8-ounce can tomato sauce
one 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup instant rice
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Fill saucepan 3/4 full of hot water, cover and place on high heat to boil for bell peppers.
3. Preheat sauté pan on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
4. Place ground beef, sausage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in sauté pan. Cook for 7-10 minutes until brown, and all pink is gone. Stir frequently, breaking meat up into small crumbles as it cooks. Drain well.
5. Wash bell peppers; cut tops off and remove seeds. Trim bottom of bell peppers evenly. (This will help peppers to stand upright.) Add peppers to boiling water, cover and boil for 5 minutes.
6. Stir into meat mixture: drained mushrooms, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (including liquid) and rice. Cook for 3 minutes.
7. Using tongs, remove bell peppers and stand upright in 8-inch baking dish.
8. Remove meat mixture from heat and pack each bell pepper with mixture, mounding the top. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Serve.