- Total Time:
- Active Time:
2 cups instant rice
2 cups water
1 bunch green onions (1/3 cup chopped)
1/2 pound broccoli florets
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 tomatoes (2 cups, chopped)
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak
1 tablespoon roasted garlic
1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1. Place 2 cups water in saucepan and bring to boil. Add rice, stir. Cover, remove from heat and set aside.
2. Wash all vegetables.
3. Dice green onion into 1/4-inch pieces, including up to 1/2 of green section. Chop broccoli into bite-size florets, if necessary. Place onions and broccoli in first mixing bowl.
4. Mix cornstarch, soy sauce and water together in second bowl, stirring until no lumps remain.
5. Cube tomatoes into 1-inch pieces and add to second bowl. Do not stir.
6. Preheat wok on medium-high for 5 minutes while slicing beef. Cut into sections using fat layers (which naturally divide steaks) as a guide; then trim all fat. Slice beef against the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Cut into 2-inch long slices, if necessary.
7. Place meat in third mixing bowl and add garlic, five spice blend and seasoned salt. Stir to mix.
8. Add sesame oil to wok and turn to high. Let heat for 30 seconds.
9. Add onion and broccoli to pan, stir and cook for 1 minute.
10. Add beef mixture stir. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring at 2-minute intervals.
11. Add tomatoes and stir lightly. Cook for one minute. Serve over rice.